Historic Plaque Unveiling Honors Thai Military Legacy

Bangkok: The Chief of Staff of the Royal Thai Armed Forces has unveiled a historic plaque at the Royal Thai Armed Forces Headquarters, continuing the legacy and prestige of the Thai military from the past to the present. General Ukrit Boontanon, Chief of Defence Forces, presided over the unveiling ceremony of the "Chief of Defence Forces Headquarters" sign. The ceremony, held in the Naresuan Room, was attended by senior commanders, heads of departments within the Royal Thai Armed Forces Headquarters, and personnel.

According to Thai News Agency, the history of "From Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces to the Royal Thai Armed Forces" shows that in the past, the Royal Thai Armed Forces lacked a specific agency responsible for planning and controlling joint operations of the various branches. The "Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces" position was established twice to temporarily command warfare. The first instance was during the French Indochina conflict (1940-1941), and the second during the Greater East Asia War (1940-1944), using the Suan Ruen Ruedi area as its command base. Upon completion of its official missions, the agency was disbanded.

On September 27, 1957, His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej appointed Field Marshal Sarit Thanarat as the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, with the General Staff of the Ministry of Defence serving as the command center. The Ministry of Defence directed the operations of the three armed forces branches during peacetime and prepared them for wartime. On March 16, 1960, the Supreme Command Headquarters was formally established in accordance with the Ministry of Defence Organization Act of 1960. Initially, it was located on Ratchini Road, near the old Khlong Khu Mueang canal.

In 1970, the Forward Command of the Supreme Command moved to the Sanam Suea Pa area to serve as an effective joint operations command center. By 1999, the Supreme Command had relocated to its current site on Chaeng Wattana Road, officially opening on October 2, 2000. A restructuring under the Ministry of Defence Organization Act of 2008 transformed it into the "Royal Thai Armed Forces," with the Royal Thai Armed Forces Headquarters charged with overseeing, directing, commanding, and supervising operations to protect the nation, religion, monarchy, and the people, while continuously enhancing capabilities to counter threats.

The "Supreme Command Headquarters" sign was originally located behind the Ministry of Defence building. Over time, units within the Supreme Command moved to new locations at Sanam Suea Pa. In 1997, the last unit, the Military Communications Department, relocated to Songprapha Road in Don Mueang District, resulting in the sign being stored at the Military Telecommunications Center's warehouse.

On March 11, 2026, General Ukrit Boontanon initiated the installation of this plaque on the first floor of the Royal Thai Armed Forces Headquarters building. He also oversaw its restoration to restore its former glory, serving as a historical record and testament to the Thai military's honor and prestige. This plaque serves as a reminder of the dignity, pride, and unwavering commitment of the Royal Thai Armed Forces to serve the nation eternally.